Monday, January 4, 2010

How can I make my bird feeder squirrel proof?

Anyone who has bird feeders knows how frustrating it is to have squirrels destroying them. I live in an area that I call “squirrelville” because there’s so many squirrels running around. There’s a lot of trees in my neighborhood which is good for attracting birds but I can stop the squirrels from attacking my bird feeders!How can I make my bird feeder squirrel proof?
This seems to be a popular question, especially around Springtime!





The location of your bird feeder is very important. Make sure your bird feeder is well made-It’s all about quality. The best place for a bird feeder is out in the open, at least ten feet from any tree branch, deck or any other squirrel launching object. Make sure your bird feeder is hung in a safe place.





The squirrel proof tube bird feeder is both functional and beautiful. Used as the post on which a bird feeder is mounted, it makes it impossible for squirrels to get any traction. You can get squirrel proof bird feeders at Bargain Prices. Avoid Those Pesky Squirrels!





Check out article which gives more good info and advice on keeping squirrels away from your bird feeder.How can I make my bird feeder squirrel proof?
They make anti-squirrel bird feeders...
Hey, if you can figure that one out, you'll make millions!!!
There are thousands of products on the market for this. GO to your local home depot
Whether your feeder is on a pole or suspended by rope lather it down with WD 40,cooking oil or lard , you can also place Cheyenne pepper and chili powder in the seed , it does not bother the birds but squirrels hate it.
I agree with the first answer. The fact is, it is nearly impossible to find a bird feeder that a squirrel can not find a way to get into. I watched a Discovery Channel TV show about it one time acutally (there was nothing else on), and squirrels are just so darn smart they figure it out no matter what you do. So, a solution. My aunt lives in Minneapolis, MN. She loves bird watching and haves several bird feeders, and squirrels get into each one of them. So, she decided, if can't beat them, feed them. They are going to be eating the food anyway! So, she has a couple of squirrel feeders now, and that gets them to back off the bird feeders so the birds can have more food. So, that would be my advice. Maybe just get a squirrel feeder so they don't attack your bird feeders as much. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment